BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails over rsync

2010-08-15 00:14:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails over rsync
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:12:18 +0100
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 4:18 AM, waverider
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to backup a remote device using rsync.
> I have Backuppc installed and everything appears to be operating OK. I have
> changed where files are stored to a connected external USB hard drive - logs
> are being saved to there so the setup must be correct.
>
> I have tested Rsync with the remote device using the format:
> rsync -avz -e ssh remoteuser@remotehost:/remote/dir /workstation/dir/
> and the files are copied correctly without asking for password, so rsync is
> working OK.
>
> However, when I try to backup with BackupPC the backup fails.  The error  log
> shows me:
>
> full backup started for directory /remote/dir
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 192.168.72.11 /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /remote/dir/
> Xfer PIDs are now 1893
> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
> one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>
> I must have something configured incorrectly but cannot find it.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That error usually means you have a problem with the ssh
connection.There were several discussions of the "read 4 bytes" error
on this mailing list. Also about the possible forms to connect with
ssh.

Try, from the server, to run
$ ssh [email protected]

You'll need a passless ssh connection or some kind of ssh agent.
Otherwise the backuppc connection will not be successful.

Hope it helps
Luis