BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling

2010-07-28 15:55:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling
From: Lord Devi <lorddevi AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:53:03 -0600
Help Backuppc Users,

  My name is Casey Quibell, and I have been having a lot of trouble
recently decyphering the scheduling mechanism for BackupPC. Using the
docs and googling around, I have been trying to use various
configurations in order to achieve hourly backups. Actually, hourly
backups, of which 24 incrementals are stored for every day, and 30
fulls are kept - one for every day of the month. On top of which I
would like to keep a backup of every month for the past year, and then
after that, the annual backups should have no expiration. I have read
a good deal of the mail archives list as well, and while I have found
hints and clues at how to achieve what I want I have found that the
configuration examples I have found have met with inconsistant
results. So after well over a week of trying to figure this out on my
own, I thought I would try to appeal to the good people of the list
and see if they can help me out.

First, my wakeup schedule:

$Conf{WakeupSchedule} = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13,
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23];

Second, my scheduling configuration:

$Conf{FullPeriod} = 0.97;
$Conf{IncrPeriod} = 0.1;
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [4, 0, 13, 0, 0, 100];
$Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = 30;
$Conf{FullAgeMax}     = 365;
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 24;
$Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = 1;
$Conf{IncrAgeMax}     = 30;
$Conf{IncrLevels} = [1];
$Conf{BackupsDisable} = 0;
$Conf{PartialAgeMax} = 3;
$Conf{IncrFill} = 0;
$Conf{RestoreInfoKeepCnt} = 10;
$Conf{ArchiveInfoKeepCnt} = 10;
$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = undef;
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = undef;
$Conf{BlackoutBadPingLimit} = 3;
$Conf{BlackoutGoodCnt}      = 7;
$Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [
    {
        hourBegin =>  3,
        hourEnd   => 6,
        weekDays  => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7],
    },
];
$Conf{BackupZeroFilesIsFatal} = 1;

Please, I am very much in need of assistance for this. This is
documentation beyond my ken. I had an easier time understanding Bind
and Postfix combined than I have had with this one.

1. I am using Rsync, so don't really care whether I am using full or
incr backups. It is just a speed difference anyway.
2. I need Backups kept of every hour for the past entire day.
3. I need to store a backup of every day of the most recent 30 days.
4. I need a backup kept for every month of the past year.
5. I need permanent annual backups with no expiration date.

Can anyone please show me the light??

Thank you very much for your time, and
Regards,
  Casey Quibell