BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling

2010-07-29 09:42:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling
From: Ed McDonagh <ed.mcdonagh AT rmh.nhs DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:24:10 +0100
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 22:30 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Lord Devi <lorddevi AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> > Help Backuppc Users,
> >
> > Actually, hourly
> > backups, of which 24 incrementals are stored for every day, and 30
> > fulls are kept - one for every day of the month.
> >
> > $Conf{IncrPeriod} = 0.1;
> > $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [
> >    {
> >        hourBegin =>  3,
> >        hourEnd   => 6,
> >        weekDays  => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7],
> >    },
> > ];
> >
> > 1. I am using Rsync, so don't really care whether I am using full or
> > incr backups. It is just a speed difference anyway.
> > 2. I need Backups kept of every hour for the past entire day.
> > 3. I need to store a backup of every day of the most recent 30 days.
> > 4. I need a backup kept for every month of the past year.
> > 5. I need permanent annual backups with no expiration date.
> >

> Hi, Casey
>
> If your incremental backups take less than an hour, you should be
> fine, but you will not have backups during the Blackout period. You
> may want to change that.
>
> It seems you forget to mention what is not working. I mean, taking a
> quick look to your conf it seems ok.

If the backup takes 20 minutes, and starts at 10, when it gets to the
next wakeup, 11, the backup will only be 40 minutes old, or 0.028 days
old. As 0.028 is less than 0.1, it won't start a new one. In fact, 0.1
days is 2.4 hours, so if your backup takes less than 20 minutes, it will
back up every 3 hours, or every 4 hours otherwise!

It isn't anything I have ever tried, but my first attempt would be to
remove the blackout periods, then reduce the $Conf{IncrPeriod} to 0.01,
and hope that the backups take less than 45 minutes, else this number
will need to be even smaller! I don't know if there are any limits on
this.

As Louis said, some idea of what isn't working would help!

Ed
Attention:
recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary, confidential and/or
privileged information and should not be copied, disclosed, distributed,
retained or used by any other party. If you are not an intended recipient
please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including
attachments and copies).

The statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Royal Marsden NHS
Foundation Trust. The Trust does not take any responsibility for the
statements and opinions of the author.

Website: http://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk