BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling

2010-07-29 15:25:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with scheduling
From: Lord_Devi <lorddevi AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:21:51 -0600
Ah yes, I am very sorry. I should have been more clear about what is not
quite working, and should have mentioned the blackout period as well.
Well first I'd like to point out that Ed McDonagh had made a good point
I ended up learning through trial and error regarding 0.02 vs 0.01.
After changing to the latter I was able to achieve the hourly backup
goal, while 0.02 was not quite doing it.

The blackout period is more or less for testing purposes as /sometime/
during the nights I am desiring to be running more IO intensive tasks
such as virus scans, or raid scrubs, etc. The blackouts seems to be
working very well.(By the way, the blackout timing method was much
easier to understand than the rest! =) ). So the only two 'problems' i
am having now, is how to use FullKeepCnt, and IncrKeepCnt properly.
Ignoring the blackout period, I would still like IncrKeepCnt to keep the
last 24 backup operations, while ideally I am using a daily FullKeep to
keep the longer term ones meant for archiving. I /think/ that's probably
the best use of it. I just know I wish to keep a backup of the past 30
days, a backup of every month for the past 12 months, and then an annual
backup which lasts forever. (I am not even sure how I might go about
testing and verifying the configuration of these more lasting backups..
so turning to asking the mailing list seemed my only real option there.
I am sorry for that, but I wasn't sure what else to do.

p.s. This is all occurring on a Gigabyte network with rather smaller
amounts of data, so all the backups should occur in very short periods
of time. Lengthy backups should not be an issue. However I am having to
do off-site backups to rsync.net every week as well! And from what I
have read in on the mailing archives, there is no sane method I can use
to backup the backup pool itself. So I believe what I will be doing is
mounting my rsync.net account locally as a fuse-sshfs, and point
backuppc to that as the TopDir, then allow backuppc to execute as
normally. I THINK that running only FullBackups for the off-site is the
way to go, but this is something else I am unsure of - how to run ONLY
full backups, and how to schedule configure FullKeepCnt to keep 4
weeklies, 12 monthlies, and then eternal annuals. This latter point of
the off-site schedule I did not mention in my original post, but if I
could have some help with that too I would be very appreciative.

I love this application!! I just wish I didn't have to resort to the
mailing list for assistance with the scheduling issues =/ I always feel
like I am being a pest bothering the mailing list. Thank you for making
me feel welcome.