BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to access BackupPC again

2010-07-13 11:44:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to access BackupPC again
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: madams9 AT msn DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:41:19 -0500
On 7/13/2010 10:13 AM, Mark Adams wrote:

>>> Mandriva 2010.0, 2.6.31.13-server-1mnb
>> You basically need to wade through your httpd configuration to figure
>> out what is permitting access and ignoring the require valid-user
>> directive. I don't know about Mandriva but many distributions have an
>> additional /etc/httpd/conf.d directory where snippets of the config file
>> are included. If you have that, you need to wade through them to see if
>> anything allows access to the cgi-bin directory. Or add a more specific
>> entry to control access to the BackupPC_Admin file.
>
> I have a conf.d dir under /etc/httpd but it's empty. I have been combing
> through the installation docs at the BackupPC wiki and my httpd.conf
> file. So far, no joy. And it's really complicated and user hostile.
>
> Thanks for the tip. Would it be helpful if I posted any portion of the
> httpd.conf file?

No, apache inherits settings from the top down, so it would be easier to
ignore what else is there and make a specific entry to limit access to
the BackupPC_Admin program which is all you really need to change.
Try something more like this:

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
     AllowOverride None
     Options None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
     <FILES "BackupPC_Admin">
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "BackupPC"
         AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwd
         require valid-user
    </FILES>
</Directory>

Do you have a .htaccess file in or above the cgi-bin directory?  Your
AllowOverride All in the version you posted would include their
directives as well.