BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN

2010-07-06 12:11:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:08:20 +0100
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 16:11:17 Innop wrote:
> Are you sure for --inplace ? Is that upload will be there not bigger?
> *--inplace* This option changes how rsync transfers a file when its data
> needs to be updated: instead of the default method of creating a new copy
>  of the file and moving it into place when it is complete, rsync instead
>  writes the updated data directly to the destination file. Thanks.

No, it has no impact on bandwidth, just disk performance. From the man page:

--inplace
    This option changes how rsync transfers a file when the file's data needs
be updated: instead of the default method of creating a new copy of the file
and moving it into place when it is complete, rsync instead writes the updated
data directly to the destination file.
    This has several effects: (1) in-use binaries cannot be updated (either the
OS will prevent this from happening, or binaries that attempt to swap-in their
data will misbehave or crash), (2) the file's data will be in an inconsistent
state during the transfer, (3) a file's data may be left in an inconsistent
state after the transfer if the transfer is interrupted or if an update fails,
(4) a file that does not have write permissions can not be updated, and (5) the
efficiency of rsync's delta-transfer algorithm may be reduced if some data in
the destination file is overwritten before it can be copied to a position later
in the file (one exception to this is if you combine this option with --backup,
since rsync is smart enough to use the backup file as the basis file for the
transfer).
    WARNING: you should not use this option to update files that are being
accessed by others, so be careful when choosing to use this for a copy.
    This option is useful for transfer of large files with block-based changes
or appended data, and also on systems that are disk bound, not network bound.
    The option implies --partial (since an interrupted transfer does not
delete the file), but conflicts with --partial-dir and --delay-updates. Prior
rsync 2.6.4 --inplace was also incompatible with --compare-dest and --link-
dest.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on
computer, another word processor, or another network."