BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN

2010-07-01 08:32:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN
From: Innop <innop.mail AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:18:59 +0200
Thanks for you response.
I think for me, the best solution is 1,2,3,4 for Incremental Levels (if I have no problem with backup). I will test it.

And what do you think of my method ?

Thanks.

2010/7/1 Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>

I would do successive incrementals, but only if the same exact files aren't changing each time. For instance, successive incrementals do not benefit you if files X changed today, and it changes tomorrow, and it changes the next day only if file X is the file that chances the most.

If file X is a text file, successive incrementals might be useful so long as the same blocks of text from the day before still exist in the file. This is going to be pretentious for any file whose changes persist day to day even if there are changes.

The one time you, for-sure, want to use successive incrementals is if you have the processing power, disk space, and amount of files that change day-to-day to require it. Especially if you're on a limited line like a VPN over the Internet, it would be beneficial to check for changes from the day before than say 6 days before as you'd wanna copy less information rather than more.

The more successive incremental levels you add, the slower it goes. 6 will always yield decent speeds. I have mine setup at home for 8, but even that might be too much for a one-drive setup. I used to have it setup for 60 and each incremental past level 18 would start to show slowdown. It would start to take 6-7 hours to backup the same host that, at lower incremental levels, took only a few tens of minutes.

I would try the successive incrementals and see where it takes you. Test between them both for 2 different weeks and that will tell you which to choose for sure. I like successive incrementals, I just don't like using them at higher levels because it really really begins to slow things down.