BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN

2010-07-01 08:42:20
Subject: [BackupPC-users] My backup method across VPN
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 08:40:45 -0400
Your method is fine. I don't think it will be fast enough though. 5GB of daily
changes you said? You don't wanna do those all at once. My recommendation is
first, limit BackupPC to backing up a maximum of one host at a time. Second,
spread out the backups into multiple hosts. Instead of them being physical
hosts, do what I do to my computer, I have specific folders like Compositions,
Documents, Photoshop files, etc all in different BackupPC hosts. It's one thing
to transfer 100GB of files, it's another thing to transfer 500GB of files and
have the entire transfer fail for every single file because I needed to restart
my PC or something. If there's one single error, the entire transfer will fail
which is why you want to space it out among different hosts.

Make sure, since you're going over 2Mb/s upload, you set the blackout period
for the time people are in the office, that way, you won't be backing it up
while they're in session. The VPN should compress things as needed if you have
it set to do so meaning --compress won't be needed; plus, I think it breaks
BackupPC to enable that rsync option anyway. You want to make sure your VPN is
setup w/ udp and not tcp also.

Are you using the rsync or rsyncd methodology? What types of files are you
transferring and to what files system?