BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run

2010-05-25 17:32:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:30:52 -0500
On 5/25/2010 2:17 PM, David Wraige wrote:

> full backup started for directory /home
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l david aragorn /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /home/
> Xfer PIDs are now 660
> Read EOF:
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

Are you sure these two runs are started by the same user - or that you
don't have a passphrase required?  The one above looks like it's ssh
identity did not match, where the one below at least started the remote
rsync command.

> full backup started for directory /home
> started full dump, share=/home
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l david aragorn /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /home/
> Xfer PIDs are now 763
> xferPids 763
> Got remote protocol 30
> Negotiated protocol version 28
>
> It hangs forever at that point. If I understand correctly that means
> that the rsync server has started on the client and the following
> confirms this:

You aren't running as root.  Does the 'david' user have permission to
access the target directory?  Could some mandatory lock or hung nfs
mount be making it wait?

> david@aragorn:~$ pgrep -l rsync
> 25014 rsync
>
> I just can't figure out why it won't actually do the transfer, and I've
> run out of debugging ideas. If anyone can help me sort this out I'd be
> very grateful.

If aragorn is linux, you might 'strace -p' the process id of the hung
rsync to see what system call it is waiting for.