BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run

2010-05-25 17:58:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run
From: David Wraige <david AT wraige DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:56:42 +0100
Thanks for taking the time to reply Michael. I've tried what you
suggested and rsync seems to work on the client. See below:

-bash-4.0$ ssh -l david aragorn "/usr/bin/rsync --version"
rsync  version 3.0.3  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

I've tried to rsync a file between two directories on the client:

-bash-4.0$ ssh -l david aragorn "ls /home/david/etc"
ls: cannot access /home/david/etc: No such file or directory

-bash-4.0$ ssh -l david aragorn "rsync --numeric-ids --perms --owner
--group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--ignore-times /etc/resolv.conf /home/david/etc/"

-bash-4.0$ ssh -l david aragorn "ls /home/david/etc"
resolv.conf

-bash-4.0$ ssh -l david aragorn "cat /home/david/etc/resolv.conf"
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain wraige.com
search wraige.com
nameserver 192.168.1.254

So that certainly works. I'm no expert with rsync, and I don't know how
to get it to transfer between the server and client, but from what I can
see ssh is working and rsync is working.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
David