BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Automatized configuration

2010-05-21 22:05:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Automatized configuration
From: Lluis <lluis.rafa AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 03:01:40 +0100
I'm configuring a backup server in an Ubuntu betwork (Ubuntu server +
Ubuntu clients) with backup pc and my first idea was to achieve a nearly
authomatic installation an configuration of the clients and server.
In fact it is supposed that there's only a minimum configuration on the
clients side.

Following the 'official' guide it's necessary to config a client user
account in the server and in backuppc. That's a huge manual jop in a
large network.

Another problem is when you only need to backup the home directory of
each client. According to the guide all backups are root backups and
restorations. See $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} and {RsyncClientRestoreCmd}, the
ssh command is been done by root user. Of course, I can have a config.pl
for each host with a personalized values of those variables but that
another huge job again.

Any idea about this. The objective is to achive an almost automatic
configuration for my backup system.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my poor English!