BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Woe is me

2010-05-01 18:29:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Woe is me
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 00:26:50 +0200
On Saturday 01 May 2010 13:59:17 Dom wrote:
> I just logged in
> to do my Sysadmin checks and found 3 bloody disks have failed totally
> ruining my BackupPC filesystem.

Whoa!  That's really sad, man.  I feel for you.

What are you using to monitor for disk failures?  Is smartd running and
logging to syslog?  Does the kernel support the raid card and log failures?
Are you using something like logcheck to alert you to issues when they are
logged?

I'd be happy advise you on the best way to do these things, and I can meet for
lunch in London.  :)

Tyler

--
"Cheops' Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein