BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Woe is me

2010-05-01 10:47:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Woe is me
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 09:45:03 -0500
Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I just logged in
>> to do my Sysadmin checks and found 3 bloody disks have failed totally
>> ruining my BackupPC filesystem.
>
> The odds against that are overwhelming.  Power surge?  Are all three disks of
> the same age and lot?

Things like that aren't as unusual as you might think.  What often happens is
that unused parts of some of the disks go bad and aren't noticed immediately -
then when a used area on one does have a problem it tries to rebuild on a hot
spare but in the process of building parity across all the sectors it hits the
bad spots on the other drives.  Or, if it is really a controller problem it can
affect several disks at once.