BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Woe is me

2010-05-01 07:59:44
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Woe is me
From: Dom <d0min00 AT live DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 12:59:17 +0100
Hi all,

I've just set up BackupPC and have to say it's brilliant. I'm using it
to replace out current Netbackup based system which luckily is still
running along side the new BackupPC system. Reading from this list has
been invaluable.  I work for a major local government emergency service
in the UK and compared to the more expensive alternatives it's winning
friends all round here. Anyway, I'm here to vent a little because I'm
very sad. I've set up BackupPC to back up to a Coraid 20TB unit with a
Raid6 configuration that can tolerate 2 disk failures. I just logged in
to do my Sysadmin checks and found 3 bloody disks have failed totally
ruining my BackupPC filesystem. 18 Linux system backups, 5TB of backups,
hundreds of fulls and incrementals all down the pan. The tape backup
side isn't even started yet so I can't even recover my BackupPc config,
we've got some engineers coming in to install that side in a couple of
weeks.

All that work, all that effort. Not BackupPC's fault at all. But still I
could cry. Apologies for posting here but no one else could understand
my current anguish.

Buggery bugger bugger bum shit bob shag.

and Cheers...

Dom