BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Adding compression to BackupPC

2010-03-22 05:23:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Adding compression to BackupPC
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:21:56 -0400
Is there a way to add compression to BackupPC backups using Rsyncd without
having to using a VPN or by somehow enabling SSH compression? My wireless
machines are taking anywhere from six to ten times as long to backup since I
switched from Samba to Rsyncd which means they're backing up in hours instead
of minutes now.

Another issue seems to be that machines will be backed up and if the machine
goes offline, BackupPC won't know or care. I had a machine here on today for
only a few minutes and then it went off the facilities. BackupPC is still
sitting there with a nice green "Backup in Progress" even though the machine is
completely gone as if it's too dumb to realize it.

All of this is quite annoying and makes me think the benefit of Rsync not
having to transfer files is actually a lot less helpful. I can't figure out why
it'd be doing this all so slowly or why it wouldn't realize a machine had gone
offline over 12 hours ago.

I'm using version 3.1.0 in Ubuntu Server 8.04.4.