BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying BackupPC to tape for off-site storage - very slow

2010-03-02 13:01:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying BackupPC to tape for off-site storage - very slow
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:22:33 -0600
On 3/2/2010 10:53 AM, Sean Carolan wrote:
> Hello BackupPC users:
>
> We have a BackupPC system that has been working well for us for the
> past three years.  There is about 1.2 terabytes of data on our
> BackupPC partition and we'd like to be able to spool it off to tape
> for off-site storage.  We have an HP d2d device that gets about 50-60
> MB/s throughput during testing.  When I try to back up our backuppc
> partition however, I only get around 25MB per *minute*.  At this rate
> it will take days to back up the entire partition.  I'm using bacula
> to manage the tape backups.
>
> Would this go faster if I unmounted the partition and tried to do a
> block-level copy of the entire thing?  How would you handle this?

If you use a file-oriented approach, traversing the directories is very
slow, and the restore will be much worse as it tries to reconstruct the
hardlinks.  An image copy will be much faster, but keep in mind that you
have to load it all back from the tape before being able to access any
of it.  If your partition is 2TB or smaller it might be handier to image
to to an external or removable disk that you could access directly.