BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Copying BackupPC to tape for off-site storage - very slow

2010-03-02 11:55:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Copying BackupPC to tape for off-site storage - very slow
From: Sean Carolan <scarolan AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:53:15 -0600
Hello BackupPC users:

We have a BackupPC system that has been working well for us for the
past three years.  There is about 1.2 terabytes of data on our
BackupPC partition and we'd like to be able to spool it off to tape
for off-site storage.  We have an HP d2d device that gets about 50-60
MB/s throughput during testing.  When I try to back up our backuppc
partition however, I only get around 25MB per *minute*.  At this rate
it will take days to back up the entire partition.  I'm using bacula
to manage the tape backups.

Would this go faster if I unmounted the partition and tried to do a
block-level copy of the entire thing?  How would you handle this?

Thanks

Sean