BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours

2009-11-19 17:46:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup fails after running 8-10 hours
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Nick Bright <nick.bright AT valnet DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:42:00 +0100
Hi,

Nick Bright wrote on 2009-11-09 17:57:11 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup
fails after running 8-10 hours]:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Nick Bright wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> full backup started for directory /
> >> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root cpanel /usr/bin/rsync --server
> >> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> >> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /
> >> Xfer PIDs are now 27778
> >> Got remote protocol 1768191091
> >> Fatal error (bad version): stdin: is not a tty

note the error message here. "stdin: is not a tty".

> [...]
> Thank you for your reply. I checked in to it, and determined that there
> isn't anything being output by logging in to the backuppc system and "su
> backuppc" then "ssh root@cpanel":

It's not output, it's probably an 'stty' or something else that expects its
stdin to be a tty. Note that if you try it like you did ("ssh -l root cpanel"
without command argument), that's not the same as BackupPC is doing. stdin
*will* be a tty in this case, so you won't get the error. You should try
something like "ssh -l root cpanel /bin/true" instead.

The reason it is working with tar is probably just that the tar XferMethod is
less strict about its input. rsync *needs* to agree on a protocol version
first and then speak that protocol (which doesn't accomodate for arbitrary
garbage in the protocol stream). tar just parses messages and treats
everything it doesn't recognize as an error message. You could look at your
error counts and the XferLOG error messages to confirm that.

I would encourage you to find the problem and switch back to rsync (if that is
what you had first planned on using).

Regards,
Holger