BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server

2009-09-15 19:23:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:16:29 -0800
James Ward wrote:
> I forgot to mention there are 16 disks in the big array.  So you'd
> recommend RAID5 or 6?

Your best bet is to set it up and run some benchmarks*.  Anything else
is just speculation.

For what it's worth, I have a similar setup (Intel Xeon X3320 Quad Core,
8GB RAM, 16 drives on an Adaptec 51645).  I went with RAID 6 with a hot
spare for my BackupPC partition and formatted it XFS.

I'm backing up (and expiring) around 50GB of data nightly across ~115
hosts in a ~10 hour window (backups start at 21:00 and have mostly
completed by 07:00).

As always, your millage may vary.

Chris

*Good luck finding anything even remotely resembling BackupPC's actual
work load.  Especially once you have any kind of backup history.