BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server

2009-09-15 22:56:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:24:05 -0500
James Ward wrote:
> I'm setting up a new BackupPC server as my current one has gotten full.
>  This system has 2G RAM, quad Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz and a 3ware
> 6.5T array.  I believe the array is currently RAID5 with no hot spare.
>  From what I'm reading, RAID5 is a no-no as is ext3?

RAID5 is fine; it's the filesystem that you need to concentrate on.

Since you mentioned ext2, I'm assuming you're installing Linux.  While
you will no doubt get a lot of favoritism from some people on which is
best, I would highly suggest that you configure a second volume as ext3
and run some tests (filebench is a good test suite).  Then reformat it
as XFS and run the same tests.  Then reformat as JFS and run the same
tests.  The winner of your tests should be the filesystem you use.

And no matter which filesystem you end up using, don't use the
main/system volume as the same place your data goes.  Dedicate a volume
to BackupPC.

> What is the best way to set up the RAID array for BackupPC?

RAID5 if you have between four and eight drives, and RAID1+0 (RAID10) if
you have more than eight.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/