BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-10 22:41:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:38:56 -0500
Timothy J Massey wrote:

>> I know there are there in the form of a directory of files which will be
>
>> nice for the rsync step.  What I want to know is if the physical host
>> can see the virtual disk/partition the same way a guest can. There is a
>> vmware-mount that I think lets you see the virtual filesystem, but I
>> want access to the raw virtual partition at a block device level.
>
> No, you really don't!  :)
>
> What is the advantage of this?  You can simply rsync the *file* just as
> easy as try to work with "raw virtual partitions".  I see no advantage,
> only problems.  Even better, rsync is already set up to handle files!  Why
> not just use it as-is?

Maybe I'm not making this clear.  I want the physical backuppc host to be able
to mirror its current 750 GB backuppc partition onto what appears at the time
be a virtual partition, but which results in the updating of the files that
comprise a vmdk disk. Backuppc isn't running on a VM.  After this step
completes, I want to rsync those files to copies elsewhere.  At the other
location, I might want to access the vmdk from a VM if it is necessary to
restore something.

>> I was hoping to be able to see a block device on the host that would be
>> the same thing a guest would see.  Then, without running a guest I could
>
>> either let the virtual partition sync as a raid member or dd an image
>> copy to it.  When that is complete, I'd like to be able to rsync the
>> directory of files that hold the vmdk virtual disk off to another
>> machine where a virtual machine could be started to access it the usual
> way.
>
> You don't *need* all of that complexity.  Do *exactly* what you're
> describing, but use cp instead of dd to copy the files.

The files don't have any contents yet.

> I think you need
> to really think long and hard about the hoops you're trying to jump
> through.  The logic that you'd use for a physical machine is obselete when
> you're dealing with VMware.  Just copy the native files as native files to
> another machine with VMware server, and start the host.  That simple.

I need to get the image of my working system on there in the first place.

> There is *no* need for dealing with RAID, dd, etc.  cp'ing the files is
> logically *identical* to a DD or RAID1 rebuild of a physical machine.  And
> *way* simpler.

But it also doesn't do anything useful when there is nothing on the partition
yet.

>> I suppose I could do dd over ssh to image copy to a running guest if the
>
>> physical host can't do it directly, then shut the guest down for the
> rsync.
>
> Again, what is your logic here?  You don't move the contents of a block
> device from one guest to another.  YOU MOVE THE ENTIRE GUEST.  Period.
> This is so, very, very way better than what you're trying to do.

The point is to get the data which is on a physical host partition into a vmdk
that can be copied as a set of smaller files - and used that way directly if
needed.

> It's like waving a magic wand and cloning an entire pretend-physical (i.e.
> virtual) machine into two complete, identical machines.  Or better yet,
> imagine you've magically cloned the hard drives and slid them into an
> identical machine.  By simply cp'ing the contents of the guest directory
> you have accomplished exactly that.

But I do that on the physical machine now by adding a partition to the raid,
letting it sync, then removing it.  The cloning part isn't a particular problem
within the machine.  I just want to get it into something rsync can handle.

>> If I have to change the parent OS, it would probably be to opensolaris
>> so I could work with zfs snapshots.
>
> But you can't get VMware for OpenSolaris!  :)  I hate to tell you, ZFS
> buys you *NOTHING* in this situation.  You'll be forced to use VMware
> snapshotting anyway, in which case you no longer *need* filesystem
> snapshotting.

Virtualbox seems to be a reasonable match for VMware these days.  It can even
use vmdk format disks directly.  With zfs I'd be able to use the incremental
send/receive function which would likely be even better than rsync'ing the
files
sitting on top of it.

    lesmiksell AT gmail DOT com