BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-10 12:05:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:02:15 -0500
Christian Völker wrote:

>> Also you might be able to use vmware's snapshots to see how much really
>> is changing.
> I did this.
> I took a VMware snapshot yest evening. And it has been grown within
> 12hrs now aprox 5GB. I'll do some further monitoring, but it seem
> indeed, there's not so many data which changes daily as dump might assume.
>
> And I have another idea 'coz of rsync copying the whole .vdmk file over-
> this could be related to access time. Obviously the times changes as the
> file is under continously access from the ESX host. I'll see if I can
> skip the time identification and force rsyn just to check the content.

You'll almost certainly end up with an unusable copy if you let the VM
run while copying - unless you can isolate changes with a snapshot.  I'm
not a filesystem expert, but the filesystem type might make a big
difference in how much rsync has to copy.  I believe some filesystems
cluster the inodes and some distribute them across the disk.  The ctimes
will change in a lot of the inodes each day as the link counts change,
and if the inode data is distributed, rsync may find many more locations
with changes.

> For the 2GB chunks idea it'll take quiet a while to migrate the 540GB
> vmdk to 2GB chunks. Oh, and I think ESX does not support this type...

I think vmware server can do it, but I'm having trouble finding a spot
with enough space since I took the full amount on the physical drives
for what I want to mirror.