BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-11 04:47:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Pieter Wuille <sipa AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:43:23 +0200
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 04:47:31PM +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Timothy J Massey wrote:
> > Of course, now we've come full circle:  how do you copy a physical
> > block device in an rsync-like manner?  :)
> Why not just use lvm to take a snapshot, use dd to take 2G chunks (or
> whatever size you want) or even cat /dev/blah | cut -c 2G etc... once
> split into files of the right size, do they rsync to the remote site.
>
> Downsides:
> 1) You need LVM to create the snapshot (or else you need to stop
> backuppc while creating the split files)
> 2) You need double the storage space to store your pool data locally
> as split files
> 3) You need double the storage space on your remote server if you want
> to actually save the split files to a device so it is ready to roll
> when needed... (or you need extra storage space to do this at the time
> your disaster strikes).
>
> Of course, all the 'double storage spaces' can be single disks, they
> don't need to be expensive, fast disks, and don't need to have RAID
> etc....

Or you can just use the perl script i gave the link to in the initial post
of this thread to avoid the double storage and *mount* the LVM snapshot
as a directory with 1GiB files, and rsync those to the other side.

PS: the latest version has write support, so use it at both sides, and
you rsync two blockdevices directly (use --inplace --ignore-times).
Of course, being Perl and using Fuse, it causes some serious overhead
(especially on old machines - on a P3 800 the CPU becomes the bottleneck),
so you might be better of using that patched version of rsync that
supports blockdevices on itself.

--
Pieter