BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-11 16:02:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:58:21 -0500
Timothy J Massey wrote:

>> I'm not convinced that any of that matters when the real issue is moving
>> a physical disk head around.
>
> If that's all you want out of life, then pick whatever.  For most people,
> vMotion is a killer app.  The only reason I would use a solution that
> *doesn't* provide this would be 100% GPL--which is why I'm keeping a very
> close eye on KVM.

Most of the services I care about need a large farm of load balanced
physical servers, so slicing one of them up into virtual machines
doesn't make a lot of sense and moving them always involves juggling
hardware anyway.  There could be some exceptions but probably not enough
to deal with different technology.  An occasional Vmware server/guest
instance isn't a big deal because I don't rely on it for anything I
couldn't do with bare hardware.

>> This is the effect I was hoping to get by vmware-mounting the vmdk into
>> the physical host.
>
> And I think you'd be a million times better by just using a simple
> loopback mount--which could be used by a physical *or* a virtual host with
> zero drawbacks, outside of loopback itself.  And it's rsyncable.

Maybe - but I don't want it live in my main server.  I want the
chunked-file copy to be a snapshot made quickly locally, then dribbled
offsite.  When I have a chance to look at the vmdk spec, it's probably
trivial to copy directly to one creating it as you go as fast as dd
could copy an image.  I just expected vmware-mount to provide the option
to see a partition as well as the whole disk - until I tried it.  Maybe
I'm still missing something.

>> Maybe the fuse/perl driver mentioned earlier would work with one end in
>> the physical backuppc server and the other in the remote disaster
>> recovery VMware guest.   But, there is a timing issue unless some sort
>> of local snapshot capability is added and I'd prefer to avoid LVM.  I
>> suppose I could sync my existing disk into the raid, break it, and mount
>
>> it back separately for the rsync step to decouple the transfer time.
>
> You have *way* too many preconditions.

I'm trying to change a working process as little as possible.  If I have
to make big changes, zfs is probably the way to go.

> "I want to deal with my partitions as files"
>
>  -- Then use loopback

I want something that works with mdadm to add to my raid so the
partition can remain mounted while the copy occurs.   And I want
something that is chunked for the rsync steps.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalpost

I have a working setup where I add a physical drive to my raid, then
remove it and I can access that drive through a USB adapter from a
vmware guest on my laptop.  The goal is simply to change the step where
I throw that drive in my briefcase and take it offsite with something
that happens automatically and still gives me a copy elsewhere that a
vmware guest can access for disaster recovery.  It doesn't _have_ to get
copied into a chunked vmdk immediately, but doing so solves all of the
subsequent steps.