BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files

2009-09-08 09:31:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:27:54 -0500
> Michael Stowe wrote at about 16:37:36 -0500 on Monday, September 7, 2009:
>  > If you care to get your technical information from Microsoft rather
> than
>  > conjecture, there's considerable detail available here:
>  >
>  > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966520.aspx
>
> If you care to know that Microsoft isn't the only producer of a SQL
> database for Windows then you would know that Microsoft might not be
> the only relevant source.

There's certainly a difference between [Microsoft] SQL Server, which is
what we're talking about, and "a SQL database," which is not what we're
talking about.  If we were talking about an Oracle database, calling it
SQL Server would be inaccurate, at best, and I'd be recommending a
different backup strategy.

> Also, if instead of being snotty, you were really trying to be
> helpful, you would have mentioned that even for MS SQL Server a sync
> is required unless you enable the SQL Server VSS Service which may not
> be obvious from your snappy and mostly unhelpful remarks.

It's NOT required, as I've tried to make clear, even pointing out the
relevant technical documents.  I'd rather be snappy than perpetuate
misinformation.  And I'd rather you either keep it professional, or
refrain from replying at all.  Nobody's gauging your worth by the volume
of your posts.