BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files

2009-09-07 03:23:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:20:27 +1000

I have a remote machine which backs up a MS SQL DB and automatically
puts it into a dated zip file. I wrote a small script to move these
files to another directory where the new filename would have a number 0
- - 6 for the 7 days of the week (so there are 7 local copies of the
backup, and more history is on the backup server).

I've noticed this machine often fails to complete the backup, and takes
a long time to do the backup, so I checked it out today, and this folder
seemed to be the problem. Especially if it failed one day, then the next
day it had two large files to backup and so on.

Anyway, as a test, I took a one day old copy of the zip file, and used
standard rsync with -z to copy the new file across. It required a full
file transfer (bytes transferred).

Unzipping the same files on each end, and then re-transferring the
uncompressed content to update the local uncompressed content, required
only 10% of the file size to be sent across the wire!

Compressed transfer stats:
Number of files: 1
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 147192477 bytes
Total transferred file size: 147192477 bytes
Literal data: 147156213 bytes
Matched data: 36264 bytes
File list size: 63
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 84660
Total bytes received: 146523498

Uncompressed transfer stats:
Number of files: 7
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 533412864 bytes
Total transferred file size: 533411328 bytes
Literal data: 58591248 bytes
Matched data: 474820080 bytes
File list size: 222
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 161249
Total bytes received: 15620347

- --