BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files

2009-09-07 12:24:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Anecdote about backup of changing zip files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:20:34 -0500
Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> Thanks for the stats on ZIPped MS-SQL db files - that has saved me doing
> some tests!

I believe those stats use rsync -z which you can't do directly in backuppc.

> I will eventually have to backup MS_SQL servers on 31 sites to a number of
> remote locations and so I am currently experimenting with a number of
> strategies.
>
> At the moment, I am backing up as follows:
>
> 1) A nightly scheduled batch file runs SQL scripts to dump the tables by
> calling a stored procedure
>
>     Backups are called backup_tablename_dayofweek.bak (eg:
> backup_testdb_wed.bak)
>
> 2) The .bak file is renamed to backup_tablename.bak to create a daily
> generic backup file which is synced off-site by BackupPC
>
> 3) The .bak file is ZIPped to !B_tablename_dayofweek.zip (eg:
> !B_testdb_Wed.zip) and this is left in the backup folder as a local copy.
> BackupPC is set to ignore files that start !B* so these files are not copied
> offsite but are kept for a week until overwritten.
>
> It's not easy to determine actual backup speed and performance yet because
> we have only rolled out the new app on two sites, and the devs are messing
> around with the database schema so a lot of the data in the .bak file is
> changing between backups. During initial testing (when things were not being
> changed so much), a daily sync of a 700MB database was taking around 20-40
> minutes, albeit across an old 512K ADSL (VPN) line with an upload speed of
> 288Kbit/sec. I have just upgraded this to an LLU service that's currently
> running at 5.5Mbit down, 883Kbit up and will be seeing what improvement this
> gives.
>
> Our 700MB .bak files ZIP down to around 130MB and I was wondering whether it
> would be worth taking this offsite, but it may be that syncing the raw dumps
> may be quicker.

To get the benefit of both compression and rsync you might use rsync over ssh
with ssh compression enabled.  This can be a problem on windows, but I think
the
latest versions work - or you might write the dump to a samba-share on a linux
box where it always works.  Or, use rsync -z in the script that zips the file
push a copy local to the backuppc server. Originating rsync over ssh commands
has always worked on windows - the problem has been accepting them with sshd.