BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes

2009-09-03 12:46:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:42:43 -0400
Michael Stowe wrote at about 09:16:18 -0500 on Thursday, September 3, 2009:

 > Over time, I've accumulated the following set of excludes for use for
 > backing up Windows machines, which applies to all Windows machines on the
 > network.  So the open question is, are there other things that it would
 > make sense to universally exclude?  (Exclude syntax is for rsync.)
 >
 >   '*' => [
 >     '/BackupPC/diagnostic.txt',
 >     '/BackupPC/vss-setvar.cmd',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Application Data/AOL/TopSpeed',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Application Data/Microsoft/Search/Data',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
 > Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/Cache',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
 > Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*.default/Cache',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
 >     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
 >     '/hyberfile.sys',
 >     '/pagefile.sys',
 >     '/RECYCLER',
 >     '/System Volume Information',
 >     '/Temp',
 >     '/Windows/Prefetch',
 >     '/WINDOWS/Temp'
 >     ]

First, just being anal, I have different excludes for the OS vs. other
partitions:
**** OS partition:
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp/*',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.IE5/*',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.MSO/*', #MS Office cache
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache/*',
                '/System Volume Information/catalog.wci/*',  #This is just the
web & document indexing portion
                '/WINDOWS/system32/spool/PRINTERS/*',
                '/pagefile.sys', '/hiberfil.sys', '/RECYCLER/*',

**** Non-OS partition:
                '/RECYCLER/*', '/Recycled/*',
                '/System Volume Information/catalog.wci/*',  #This is just the
web & document indexing portion

Also, if I am not using my VSS script to allow backup of locked files,
I also exclude the following locked or busy files on the OS partition:
  Note some excludes have upper and lower case versions since
  different of my puters use different caps conventions probably due
  tno different original vendors.
  Note the SAM stuff is for Symantic

                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat.LOG',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/NTUSER.DAT', '/Documents and
Settings/*/NTUSER.DAT.LOG',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/ntuser.dat', '/Documents and
Settings/*/ntuser.dat.LOG',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/parent.lock',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Application
Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/*/parent.lock',
                '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/parent.lock',
                '/Program Files/Common Files/Symantec
Shared/CCPD-LC/symlcrst.dll',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/CatRoot2/edb.log',
'/WINDOWS/system32/CatRoot2/tmp.edb',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/SAM',
'/WINDOWS/system32/config/SAM.LOG',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/SECURITY',
'/WINDOWS/system32/config/SECURITY.LOG',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/default',
'/WINDOWS/system32/config/default.LOG',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/software',
'/WINDOWS/system32/config/software.LOG',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/system',
'/WINDOWS/system32/config/system.LOG',
                'WINDOWS/system32/config/systemprofile/Local
Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat',
                'WINDOWS/system32/config/systemprofile/Local
Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat.LOG',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/systempprofile/NTUSER.DAT',
                '/WINDOWS/system32/config/systempprofile/NTUSER.DAT.LOG',