BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes

2009-09-03 21:06:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 01:59:05 +0100
Hi all

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:16:18 -0500, "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa
DOT org> wrote:
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',

        do you know you have a duplicated here :)

        i usually also exclude *.vmdk (vmware), *vdi (virtual box), i
        dont know anyone that used the MS virtual machine, but they
        should have also a extension for their virtual HDs

        google earth, google search, MS search also create big files
        that are always changing

        java also create a cache dir, but *cache* is always a good
        candidate, as *tmp and *tmp/*

        IE cookied, flash cookies, as they dont deserve the cpu/io spent
        with then

        i also exclude the download, music, images, etc folders of
        some users... i also exclude the *no-backup* and tell users
        to put inside folders with that name all things they dont
        need backup

        *.ost and *.pst.. ost are the offline exchange mailbox,
        is recreated if needed, the *.pst because they are too big,
        change alot and are always locked...they are the worst backup
        thing that one could ask...

        our users know that they should store the emails in the
        server only and this way we say goodbye to this problem.
        without .pst, the need for VSS is also smaller

        finally, antivirus updates and definitions... some
        keep older virus definitions around and its a waste of
        space and IO

good luck
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a