BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes

2009-09-04 00:23:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows Excludes
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 23:17:17 -0500
> Hi all
>
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:16:18 -0500, "Michael Stowe"
> <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:
>>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
>>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
>
>       do you know you have a duplicated here :)

Yes, but I not only want those directories excluded, I want them to -feel-
excluded.

>       i usually also exclude *.vmdk (vmware), *vdi (virtual box), i
>       dont know anyone that used the MS virtual machine, but they
>       should have also a extension for their virtual HDs
>
>       google earth, google search, MS search also create big files
>       that are always changing
>
>       java also create a cache dir, but *cache* is always a good
>       candidate, as *tmp and *tmp/*

Excellent thoughts, thank you

>       IE cookied, flash cookies, as they dont deserve the cpu/io spent
>       with then
>
>       i also exclude the download, music, images, etc folders of
>       some users... i also exclude the *no-backup* and tell users
>       to put inside folders with that name all things they dont
>       need backup
>
>       *.ost and *.pst.. ost are the offline exchange mailbox,
>       is recreated if needed, the *.pst because they are too big,
>       change alot and are always locked...they are the worst backup
>       thing that one could ask...

Funnily enough, .pst files are always backed up (using shadow volumes
leaves me without worries about locked files.)

>       our users know that they should store the emails in the
>       server only and this way we say goodbye to this problem.
>       without .pst, the need for VSS is also smaller
>
>       finally, antivirus updates and definitions... some
>       keep older virus definitions around and its a waste of
>       space and IO

Really?  Huh, I can't imagine how or why anybody would want to do that
(but I don't doubt that they do.)