BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 17:39:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:36:37 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> I have seen problems where the attrib files are not synchronized with
> the backups or when the pc tree is broken. In fact, that is the reason
> I wrote several of my routines to identify and fix such problems. Now
> true, the cause is typically due to crashes or disk/filesystem issues
> outside of the direct scope of BackupPC but there are real-world
> synchronization and integrity issues that can arise.

But nothing you've proposed will make any difference in this respect.
Well, maybe different, but nothing to enforce additional synchronization
with the file content.

> Also, the slowness of reconstructing incrementals whether in the
> web-based view or in the fuser view is in a large part due to both the
> slow nature of attrib files and the fact that you have to crawl
> backwards through the backup tree to find which is the latest visible
> version of each file. Just think how many attrib files you need to
> find, open, read, decompress, parse, etc. just in order to see what
> files are visible and think how this scales when you have large
> directories and many levels of incrementals.

OK, but I almost never do that, and probably wouldn't even if it were
faster.  And I don't use incremental levels because even without the
attrib files you'd still have to do extra work to merge the directories.

> Indeed, there is no
> question in my mind that a single well-constructed relational database
> would be orders of magnitude faster here.

Until you go to get the data, which is kind of the point.