BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 19:50:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:47:22 -0400
Michael Stowe wrote at about 18:02:44 -0500 on Monday, August 31, 2009:

 > > Yes I know you run Open Solaris. However, 99.99% of computer users
 > > don't so we don't have access to zfs. On the other hand free sql
 > > database applications are available on just about any OS. Why is so
 > > hard to understand that Open Solaris is not just an option for the
 > > average user. It is also a lot easier to install a vanilla sql
 > > database app then to set up and maintain a new Open Solaris server
 > > just to run BackupPC.
 >
 > zfs isn't confined to Solaris; it's now available in FreeBSD, and there
 > are plans to make it available in Linux through fuse.

Plans != available
Also, how fast will zfs be if fuse based?

 > > This is getting ridiculous. Just because BackupPC meets the needs of
 > > your particular environment doesn't mean that it meets other peoples'
 > > needs.
 >
 > Just because a word processor has tables doesn't mean you shouldn't be
 > using a spreadsheet.

huh? your statement is not even logically parallel let only
comprehensible. Do you just like to argue for arguments sake or only
to avoid admitting you were wrong?

 > > Then that is good I suppose since everyone was arguing for how
 > > reliable filesystem-based tools are.
 >
 > The point is that a database is another layer on top of the filesystem, so
 > there's simply more that can go wrong.

And also more that can go right -- as in more flexibility and
functionality.
Do you just like to argue?

 > > Highly unlikely. Why would a single database query and filesystem lookup
 > > be slower than having to find/open/read/decompress/parse an attrib file?
 >
 > Why would it be any faster?  Parse SQL, seek indexes, look up data tables,
 > relate to other table, format, return to client...

Do you know anything about zlib compression and perl parsing of
text-based files?

I am convinced you just like to argue.

I am still waiting for you to contribute something new and positive to
the group beyond just arguing to get in the last word.