BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync

2009-08-28 17:59:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync
From: Jim Wilcoxson <prirun AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:53:52 -0400
On 8/28/09, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I was testing on the same disk where I do a weekly image
> copy so I'll have to start over later - but I do have another place to
> try it.  What does it use to map the hardlinks internally?  Is this
> likely to remain correct if backuppc rebuilds collision chains in the
> pool during a copy - or even before the next incremental?

I'm not very familiar with the internals of BackupPC, but if you have
a set of files that are hard-linked, back them up with HashBackup,
delete the files, back that up, then recreate the hard-linked files
and back them up again, it should work even though the new series of
files will likely have different inodes.

> Even if that is handled safely or the copy is made with backuppc
> stopped, I expect a restore to take an impractical amount of time to
> reconstruct all of the links - but I hope I'm wrong.

Hmm, I think restores might actually be faster, because decompression
is much faster than compression, and also because physical writes can
be buffered / delayed in the OS whereas physical reads can't.  I could
be wrong though...

Jim