BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync

2009-08-25 16:08:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:04:02 -0500
On 08/25 10:16 , Osburn, Michael wrote:
> I have a pair of backup servers that are backing up the same site. We
> are doing this so that in the event the backuppc server dies, we can
> easily restore it from the other one. It used to be an easy task to keep
> them in sync when we had only a few hosts (30-40) being backed up but
> now that we are moving to roll this out globally the numbers will be
> rather high and difficult to maintain. Is there a process out there that
> will allow me to set up one server as a main server and have the others
> copy the changes over?

Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
this has been hashed over many times on this mailing list (and yes, the
sourceforge search mechanism is useless). basically; the number of hardlinks
kills rsync because of memory consumption; the only way to do it sanely is
somewhere around the hardware or filesystem level. Basically you need to
have the hardware or the filesystem replicate your data for you.

The best way to do this is to set up your offsite backup server to back up
your machines completely independently. This sucks a lot of bandwidth; but
on the other hand does provide a fully redundant system, so even if your
onsite backup server goes down your offsite server will keep going.

Perhaps a future version of BackupPC will support offsite replication as
part of its mechanisms.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator