BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync

2009-08-30 16:35:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping servers in sync
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:32:18 -0500
dan wrote:
> I was just thinking about syncing servers.  What if we just made an
> effort to sync the pool/cpool directory and the config files and then
> for the rest of the files in the pc/ directory run a script on the
> backuppc side to discover all the hard links.  They push that list to
> the copy and have the copy recreate the directories and hardlinks.
> Rsync's problem is the filecount.  You can reduce this by an order of
> magnitude by skipping the pc directories.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes, a program dedicated to backuppc syncing could cheat by knowing that all
files have a link in pool/cpool.  You still have to make a table of those,
mapping the names to inode numbers, but then you could traverse the pc
directories separately, perhaps just sending the relative filename and an index
into the table so the other end could find the pool name.