BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs

2009-08-25 15:23:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation problems: BackupPC_serverMesg hangs
From: Christoph <chrdr AT gmx DOT at>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:18:03 +0200
> Not sure, this is REALLY lean (as you know) -- I wouldn't be entirely
> surprised if a *lot* of swapping is going on, and combining that with a
> slow CPU, it may take a very, very long time for some operations to
> complete.

Of course, but even after several hours I did not get any response - is that
possible?

> "Hangs" are in many ways trickier than error messages.  Given that the
> perl debugger is saying that it hangs essentially where it's trying to
> contact the server, I'd speculate that it's not actually hanging, per se,
> but spending its time swapping back and forth between BackupPC_serverMsg
> and the server it's trying to contact.
>
> How long is it waiting?  Does it seem busy?

'top' shows - after starting the Backup-daemon - about 25% %MEM and 0% %CPU
consumption and about 15% %MEM and 0% %CPU consumption for the second process.
The BackupPC_serverMesg takes another ~24% %MEM. Do you think that lack of RAM
might in the end be the true problem? But then - why did it work for Ted
Callahan who used a Asus Router that does not have more RAM either (32MB)?
How can I find out if RAM is the problem? And why does 'free' show more than
3MB free RAM then?

I still don't want to give up but lack the knowledge to narrow the
possibilities down any further. Do you have any idea?

Greetings,
Christoph