BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?

2009-08-17 21:02:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:57:54 -0400
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Jeremy Mann wrote:

>> I'm watching a live output of Ganglia showing network usage while the
>> backups are going. Also simple math.. I just finished one full backup, 16
>> GB in 143 minutes. That's simply unacceptable for a full backup.

That equates to 21 MB/second backup rate.  The speed on the network is
irrelevant because that is affected by which files actually get
transfered.  The backup rate is affected by the time to calculate
checksums on the server and the client and if you have compression
turned on for your pool files then it includes the time to compress /
decompress files to/from the pool (hash collisions require complete
file comparison).  What is your processor doing during this activity.
Remember that each backup session is single threaded so your speed
will be gated by the speed of a single processor.

--
Jonathan Craig