BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?

2009-08-17 15:19:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: jeremy AT biochem.uthscsa DOT edu, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:15:34 -0500
Jeremy Mann wrote:
> Just curious if there is a bandwidth speed setting for BackupPC because
> I'm not seeing a lot of bandwidth when the backups occur. All my servers
> are on gigE and I'm not even seeing 50Mbit speeds between the servers and
> backupPC server.

There isn't one built in, but 50Mb is probably close to the disk speed
you can sustain after buffers are full and you factor in the seeks for
new directory entries.  If you are using rsync, a lot of the elapsed
time is spend comparing existing files without using a lot of bandwidth.
  If you want to reduce bandwidth, you can add the --bwlimit option to
the rsync command.