BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?

2009-08-17 16:55:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?
From: "Jeremy Mann" <jeremy AT biochem.uthscsa DOT edu>
To: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:52:38 -0500 (CDT)
Les Mikesell wrote:

> What operations are you watching to see these numbers?  The only one
> where network bandwidth matters much is the initial copy of a new host.
>     The rest of the time you are mostly doing comparisions.  Backuppc
> will be slower than native rsync because it is in perl and because it is
> working with a compressed copy for the comparison.  And perhaps you
> didn't use the --ignore-times option on the runs you are using for
> comparison.  Backuppc does this on fulls and it will slow things down to
> the speed that the remote can read the whole disk for the checksum
> comparisons - but it gives you an integrity check on your pooled copy.

I'm watching a live output of Ganglia showing network usage while the
backups are going. Also simple math.. I just finished one full backup, 16
GB in 143 minutes. That's simply unacceptable for a full backup.

Now if you tell me my hardware isn't fast enough, the BackupPC server is a
dual Opteron 2.2 Ghz with 8 GB RAM and 24 300GB drives in a 3ware RAID5
array, it isn't.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy AT biochem.uthscsa DOT edu