BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently

2009-08-10 20:06:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:02:37 -0400
Peter Hanston wrote at about 20:09:37 +0000 on Monday, August 10, 2009:
 > Thank you for the quick reply!
 >
 > >  > Is there any way I can delete a spesific file from all backups?
 > > I wrote a program to specifically do that - please look in the
 > > archives for: BackupPC_deleteFile.pl
 >
 > I read through some posts and you mention that the deleteFile script cannot
 > handle hardlinks. What would the consequence be if ex. I'm removing
 > fsmac.log
 > and it did not change between backup number 10 and 11; hence fsmac.log in 11
 > would be a hardlink to fsmac.log in 11?

The hard link issue has to do with hard links in the *source* not hard
links in the backup (The BackupPC_deleteFile.pl program would be
useless if it couldn't deal with BackupPC's own hard link structure).

The reason that BacupPC_deleteFile.pl can't deal with hard links in
the source is that the BackupPC structure treats hard-links in the source
asymmetrically and makes it very difficult to identify the other files
sharing the same hard-link so that the structure can be adjusted when
just one of the hard links is removed -- specifically in many cases,
you can't just delete one of the hard links without knowing the other
files hard-linked to it.