BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently

2009-08-10 11:50:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:45:14 -0400
Tino Schwarze wrote at about 16:56:35 +0200 on Monday, August 10, 2009:
 > On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:36:38PM +0000, Peter Hanston wrote:
 >
 > > Is there any way I can delete a spesific file from all backups? For some
 > > reason
 > > I have a file backed up which is 50gigs in /var/log (/var/lib/smac.log)
 > > and I'd
 > > like to delete it from every backup that has been made.
 > >
 > > If I go into a spesific backup number directly on the backup disk:
 > >  pc/db-master/57/f%2fvar/flib/fsmac.log)
 > >
 > > Could I just simply recursively search through all backup numbers (pc/db-
 > > master/1-2-3 etc) and delete all fsmac.log occurances? Could there be any
 > > unwanted consequences if this is done? Any better way?
 >
 > It would work, BackupPC_nightly would remove the files from the pool as
 > well, but the backup size displayed by the web interface would be wrong.
True.

But also your attrib files would be wrong since they would still list
the file as being present. Not sure what happens in the Web interface
(or restore) when there is a conflict between the attrib file and the
pc tree itself - hopefully, it would recover gracefully but just brute
force deleting the file is certainly not the neatest way to do things.