BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently

2009-08-10 11:28:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:56:35 +0200
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:36:38PM +0000, Peter Hanston wrote:

> Is there any way I can delete a spesific file from all backups? For some
> reason
> I have a file backed up which is 50gigs in /var/log (/var/lib/smac.log) and
> I'd
> like to delete it from every backup that has been made.
>
> If I go into a spesific backup number directly on the backup disk:
>  pc/db-master/57/f%2fvar/flib/fsmac.log)
>
> Could I just simply recursively search through all backup numbers (pc/db-
> master/1-2-3 etc) and delete all fsmac.log occurances? Could there be any
> unwanted consequences if this is done? Any better way?

It would work, BackupPC_nightly would remove the files from the pool as
well, but the backup size displayed by the web interface would be wrong.

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote a nice tool for removing files from backups
called BackupPC_deleteFiles. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg12265.html.

HTH,