BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently

2009-08-10 11:01:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete a file permanently
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:55:15 -0400
Peter Hanston wrote at about 14:36:38 +0000 on Monday, August 10, 2009:
 > Hi all!
 >
 > Is there any way I can delete a spesific file from all backups? For some
 > reason
 > I have a file backed up which is 50gigs in /var/log (/var/lib/smac.log) and
 > I'd
 > like to delete it from every backup that has been made.
 >
 > If I go into a spesific backup number directly on the backup disk:
 >  pc/db-master/57/f%2fvar/flib/fsmac.log)

I wrote a program to specifically do that - please look in the
archives for: BackupPC_deleteFile.pl

 > Could I just simply recursively search through all backup numbers (pc/db-
 > master/1-2-3 etc) and delete all fsmac.log occurances? Could there be any
 > unwanted consequences if this is done? Any better way?

It would not work properly for multiple reasons, including:
1. You would still have to delete all the corresponding pool files to
   recover the space (and be sure that no other file remains with that
   same contents)
2. You would still have to adjust each of the corresponding attribute
   files for each backup to delete the file