BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues

2009-07-22 05:22:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues
From: Vetch <vetch101 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:19:31 +0100
Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks for getting back to me...
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Vetch wrote at about 00:14:06 +0100 on Wednesday, July 22, 2009:
[snip]

Well, with Windows there can be all kinds of reasons for mismatches
including:
1. Busy files that can't be backed up (not just .pst files but also
  other open files and various registry and system files)
Yes, I thought about that, but these were just samba shares on a Linux server...
The only files I expected that might not have been backed up were the Outlook psts, and occassionally some of the .doc files whilst they were open...
... but mostly, I think they should have been available and backup-able...

2. Permissions/acl issues - even with ssh as admin/root there may
  still be files you can't access. I'm not a Windows guru but I know
  it's not as simple as linux where root can read everything
Yes... I'm not sure how it works with Samba permissions overriding Linux ones, but I guess it's possible that the root user couldn't backup all the data...
... though I would have thought it could...

3. Junctions can end up being double counted
Ah - that's possibly an issue...
It may be that I have data in a my documents folder in there...
... but would that show up in the count on the archive...?

4. Other weird Windows detritus - I have at times had weird ntfs files
  that hang around and are non-deletable (until I boot into Linux)
Yes - that's certainly a possibility...
Still - to have several hundred of these sounds like a lot!

Maybe I'm biased, but I always find Windows to be way more cumbersome,
obscure, and unpredictable than the simple metaphors of *nix
filesystems.
Heh - agreed... ;)
Thanks for your help,
Jx