BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues

2009-07-21 13:45:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:40:00 +0200
Vetch wrote:

> Ok - I tried direct restores back into the original directories over the
> network - and it came up with successful restores for all the home
> directories...
> Does this mean that the data has been fully successfully restored?

Probably. But as I said, BackupPC didn't check file consistency.

> I think I have about 1000 files missing (out of about 35000)...

You think? Do you really miss one of this 1000 files?

> Now, this wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd be interested to know
> if when it reports success, it has definitely brought back the entire
> dataset...

Yes. But possible not all the files YOU expected in the backup dataset.

> ... and if so... do you have any suggestions as to why I may have
> different numbers of files?

How do you measure the file counts?

> I've just tried this - I booted to a live CD and e2fsck-ed the device...
> On first scan, it reported clean... I'm now running a e2fsck -f to force
> it to check, but assuming that it reports the device as clean, then can I
> assume that the backups are not corrupted?

Yes!

> In which case, I have to wonder about the missing files...
> Am I just worrying unneccessarily?

Probably. We didn't know yet if really files are missing or if your
measurement is wrong.

br
Matthias
--