BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues

2009-07-21 20:28:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore issues
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:22:34 -0400
Vetch wrote at about 00:14:06 +0100 on Wednesday, July 22, 2009:
> [...]
 > >

 > Ok... So it could be that the files are corrupt in the database...
 > Though given the positive e2fsck results, that seems unlikely...
 >

 > > > I think I have about 1000 files missing (out of about 35000)...
 > >
 > > You think? Do you really miss one of this 1000 files?
 > >

 > No - I haven't noticed any missing files, so I'm not too worried
 > (realistically, I tend to keep numerous versions of any important document
 > I'm working on anyway, so...)
 >
 > > Now, this wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd be interested to know
 > > if when it reports success, it has definitely brought back the entire
 > > dataset...
 >
 > Yes. But possible not all the files YOU expected in the backup dataset.
 > >

 > Ok... so backuppc managed to restore all the data it has available...
 > ... but perhaps I didn't count properly, or alternatively, didn't backup
 > properly in the first place...
 >

 > > > ... and if so... do you have any suggestions as to why I may have
 > > > different numbers of files?
 > > >

 > > How do you measure the file counts?
 >

 > I took the somewhat unscientific approach of using an offline backup and
 > using windows to count the files based on the properties...
 > Essentially, I had one of the folders stored as an offline backup (the one
 > with 35000-ish files in) which I synchronise most days...
 > I used the windows properties to count files in the folder (36026) and then
 > I took an archive (zip) copy of my offline directory which also 36026 files
 > in it, based on the archive file count...
 > I then connected to the server, synchronised and used the windows properties
 > on it again...
 > It showed (I can't remember now exactly), but I believe it was around
 > 35200...
 > I then restored the archive and now the folder properties report 36093 (I
 > attribute the extra files to being ones which are not offline synchronisable
 > using the Windows XP offline files (e.g. .pst files, etc)...
 > Now, potentially, I guess that means that there could have just been more
 > files on my offline copy (I expected about 14 since the offline synch
 > claimed that 14 files had changed and needed to be synchronised)...
 > Equally, possibly there were files on my offline copy that couldn't be
 > copied to the server through synch and I didn't know...
 > ... though I would have expected to have noticed previously...
 > Equally, it's possible that the backuppc user didn't have rights on the
 > server to backup all files on the server, but I was ssh-ing in and sudo-ing
 > the command, so I believe that should give it root access for the rsync
 > command...
 > I don't know - it just seems like there should have been more files...
 >
 > Like I say, I'm not particualarly bothered, as I think it's highly unlikely
 > any of the files I genuinely need have been completely lost, but still...
 > I'd be interested in knowing what caused the discrepancy - if it's my
 > counting, my setup, my configuration or the system behaving strangely...

Well, with Windows there can be all kinds of reasons for mismatches
including:
1. Busy files that can't be backed up (not just .pst files but also
   other open files and various registry and system files)
2. Permissions/acl issues - even with ssh as admin/root there may
   still be files you can't access. I'm not a Windows guru but I know
   it's not as simple as linux where root can read everything
3. Junctions can end up being double counted
4. Other weird Windows detritus - I have at times had weird ntfs files
   that hang around and are non-deletable (until I boot into Linux)

Maybe I'm biased, but I always find Windows to be way more cumbersome,
obscure, and unpredictable than the simple metaphors of *nix
filesystems.