BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am

2009-07-08 13:06:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am
From: Pieter Wuille <sipa AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:29:00 +0200
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:39:14AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> >
> >> $Conf{WakeupSchedule} = ...
> >> The default configuration causes BackupPC to run the BackupPC_nightly job
> >> when there are backup jobs which may need to run during the night...
> >> Comments, anyone?
> >
> > Yes, I would suggest decoupling the start time for the
> > BackupPC_nightly job from the obscure setting of being the first hour
> > on which WakeupSchedule is set to.
> >
> > I believe it would be much more clear if there was a separate
> > NightlyWakeupSchedule or such setting that would specify at which time
> > that process would start running. BackupPC would wake up on either
> > WakeupSchedule or NightlyWakeupSchedule, and then would decide if it
> > would run backups or BackupPC_nightly (or both) based on that hour
> > being on the first, second, or both variables. In that case, it would
> > also be much easier to set a sensible default time for
> > BackupPC_nightly to run.
> >
> > Also, as an aside, the process should probably be renamed to
> > BackupPC_daily, as it makes more sense to run it during the day when
> > backups are not running. Isn't that right?
>
> I'm not sure you can make a general assumption about when backups are
> run.  Most places would catch machines that are on all the time at night
> but there may also be a lot of desktop machines that are either started
> manually through the web interface or caught outside of the blackout
> time because they aren't available at night.

Since "daily" simply implies "with a 24-hour period", while "nightly"
additionally implies that it occurs at night, i believe the more general
term should be given preference (i myself run nightly's at 3pm...).

Furthermore, i agree that separating the setting for the wake-up schedule
from that of the "nightly" schedule would be a good idea - it is just more
intuitive and flexible. And while we're at it, why keep the requirement that
it runs exactly once a day?

--
Pieter