BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am

2009-07-08 11:12:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:08:41 -0400
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:15, Carl Wilhelm
Soderstrom<chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
> $Conf{WakeupSchedule} = ...
> The default configuration causes BackupPC to run the BackupPC_nightly job
> when there are backup jobs which may need to run during the night...
> Comments, anyone?

Yes, I would suggest decoupling the start time for the
BackupPC_nightly job from the obscure setting of being the first hour
on which WakeupSchedule is set to.

I believe it would be much more clear if there was a separate
NightlyWakeupSchedule or such setting that would specify at which time
that process would start running. BackupPC would wake up on either
WakeupSchedule or NightlyWakeupSchedule, and then would decide if it
would run backups or BackupPC_nightly (or both) based on that hour
being on the first, second, or both variables. In that case, it would
also be much easier to set a sensible default time for
BackupPC_nightly to run.

Also, as an aside, the process should probably be renamed to
BackupPC_daily, as it makes more sense to run it during the day when
backups are not running. Isn't that right?

Filipe