BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am

2009-07-08 12:37:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:34:05 -0500
On 07/08 10:39 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'm not sure you can make a general assumption about when backups are
> run.  Most places would catch machines that are on all the time at night
> but there may also be a lot of desktop machines that are either started
> manually through the web interface or caught outside of the blackout
> time because they aren't available at night.

Indeed you are correct, and I considered this.
I made my initial suggestion in light of the fact that the default blackout
period starts at 7am, indicating a distinct likelihood that backups are
typically done at night.

I do have some machines which are backed up during the day, but for them,
the early morning is a poor time as well. If someone comes into work, plugs
in and turns on their laptop, they don't want to be stymied by the machine
being backed up (and thereby slowed down) immediately. They typically have
backups scheduled for noonish, when the lunch break happens.

So I think that 8am is about as good a default time as any, and better than
most, for to run the cleanup processes, since it is the least likely time to
run a backup.

As always, YMMV, but I'm just taking a guess at the time that is likely to
be the least inconvenient for the greatest number of people.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator