BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am

2009-07-08 10:34:04
Subject: [BackupPC-users] suggestion: make wakeups start at 8am
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:15:48 -0500
I tend to do this on my installations, because it makes sense for my
environments.

In config.pl I put:

# set the wakeups to 'start' at 8am,
# so BackupPC_nightly will start doing maintenance
# when the main blackout period starts
$Conf{WakeupSchedule} = [8..24,1..7];

Since the default blackouts start at 7am, this setting would seem to be a
reasonable way to make the nightly maintenance job run at a time when
no backup needs to run.

The default configuration causes BackupPC to run the BackupPC_nightly job
when there are backup jobs which may need to run during the night. Many of
us have trouble getting all the backups done in the time allotted; it would
seem to make sense to use that time most efficiently.

Comments, anyone?
Have things changed in such a way that this is not relevant anymore? (I
started doing this with Backuppc 2.1.0, the first version I used).
Downsides to doing this?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator